Understanding, Managing, and Repaying Student Loans for Dentists
CE Details: The format of this lecture is a recorded video webinar divided into multiple lessons. This electronically delivered self-instructional program is designated for 3 hours of CE credit by Embrasure Space. AGD Subject Code: 550.
Student loans are a challenge for many current dental students and young dentists. This course is applicable to current students, recent graduates, and practitioners who have not refinanced their federal student loans. As a general dentist who graduate in 2015, I am currently repaying my student loans under PAYE and have dedicated a significant amount of time to understanding my own situation. Prior to graduating from dental school, I had researched the available income driven repayment plans, but I there was little information tailored to young dentists. This course is designed to fill that void and review strategies with young dentists to manage their student loans.
- Describe available student loan types.
- Describe the differences be unsubsidized and subsidized loans.
- Understand how interest rates are calculated for direct loans.
- Define origination fees for graduate students.
- Define income driven repayment.
- Describe current and historical income driven repayment plans – including ICR, IBR, PAYE, and REPAYE.
- Describe how payments are calculated under IBR, PAYE, and REPAYE.
- Discuss the similarities and differences between PAYE and REPAYE.
- Understand how student loan interest accrues and what events trigger capitalization of outstanding interest.
- Understand negative amortization and how it affects your student loan balance.
- Introduce borrowers to current loan repayment programs including NHSC and IHS LRP.
- Describe Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) and define eligibility requirements.
- Discuss the pros and cons of consolidation.
Dr. Chance Bodini is a general dentist practicing in San Diego, California. Chance graduated from the University of Maryland in 2015 and moved to Southern California to begin his career. Chance currently works as a dentist full-time in an FQHC and is the founder of Embrasure Space, Practice Rail, and Proximal Contact, LLC.
Disclosures: The speaker is the founder of Proximal Contact, LLC (the parent company of Embrasure Space). This speaker nor any member of his family have a financial arrangement or affiliation with a corporate organization offering financial support for this continuing dental education program. The speaker has no financial arrangement with any product or service mentioned in this course.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.