Understanding, Managing, and Repaying Student Loans for Dentists
CE Details: The format of this lecture is a recorded video webinar divided into multiple lessons. This electronically delivered self-instructional program is designated for 3 hours of CE credit by Embrasure Space. AGD Subject Code: 550.
Student loans are a challenge for many current dental students and young dentists. This course is applicable to current students, recent graduates, and practitioners who have not refinanced their federal student loans. As a general dentist who graduated in 2015, I am currently repaying my student loans under PAYE and have dedicated a significant amount of time to understand my own situation. Prior to graduating from dental school, I had researched the available income-driven repayment plans, but I there was little information tailored to young dentists. This course is designed to fill that void and review strategies with young dentists to manage their student loans.
- Describe available student loan types.
- Describe the differences be unsubsidized and subsidized loans.
- Understand how interest rates are calculated for direct loans.
- Define origination fees for graduate students.
- Define income-driven repayment.
- Describe current and historical income-driven repayment plans – including ICR, IBR, PAYE, and REPAYE.
- Describe how payments are calculated under IBR, PAYE, and REPAYE.
- Discuss the similarities and differences between PAYE and REPAYE.
- Understand how student loan interest accrues and what events trigger capitalization of outstanding interest.
- Understand negative amortization and how it affects your student loan balance.
- Introduce borrowers to current loan repayment programs including NHSC and IHS LRP.
- Describe Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) and define eligibility requirements.
- Discuss the pros and cons of consolidation.
Dr. Chance Bodini is a general dentist practicing in San Diego, California. Chance graduated from the University of Maryland in 2015 and moved to Southern California to begin his career. Chance currently works as a dentist full-time in an FQHC and is the founder of Embrasure Space, Practice Rail, and Proximal Contact, LLC.
Disclosures: The speaker is the founder of Proximal Contact, LLC (the parent company of Embrasure Space). This speaker nor any member of his family have a financial arrangement or affiliation with a corporate organization offering financial support for this continuing dental education program. The speaker has no financial arrangement with any product or service mentioned in this course.
Release Date: 6-7-2019
Last Reviewed: N/A
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.